Wednesday, February 11, 2009

0.4

It is about 5 hours now until I board a plane and head off to...well, just off for now. I wish I could write in length about how I am feeling, but I am very tired, and still have much to do and think about and pray about.

Whitman wrote a poem entitled "I Sing The Body Electric," in which he writes, "I have perceiv'd that to be with those I like is enough,/ To stop in company with the rest at evening is enough,/ To be surrounded by beautiful, curious, breathing, laughing flesh is enough,/ To pass among them or touch any one, or rest my arm ever so lightly round his or her neck for a moment, what is this then?/ I do not ask any more delight, I swim in it as in a sea./ There is something in staying close to men and women and looking on them, and in the contact and odor of them, that pleases the soul well,/ All things please the soul, but these please the soul well."

I feel there is deep truth in this, and yet I feel like I am departing from this very truth. I feel as though I am immersed within this connectedness and closeness, and yet I am now fleeing it. Indeed, I already miss it.

3 comments:

  1. Alright bud, you're off. We just said goodbye at the airport and now you're on your way to Chicago and I'm back at home.

    You know this but I wanted to tell you again how excited for you and proud of you I am. I can't imagine the start of this kind of thing being easy, but you made this decision for a reason and after much thought and prayer, and I have faith that you're right in the middle of God's will right now, today. I'll be praying for you today, tomorrow and everyday. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another poet said, "I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference." I will definitely be praying for you to have strength and courage, even though you have shown so much already. : )

    Rachel Schultz

    ReplyDelete
  3. O pulling out the Whitman on us! leaves of grass i assume... You Dog! Your stealing my lines! Anyways it seems like your going through some tough times, right out of the gate bud. and if this was what God intended then buckle down bc the beginning is always the toughest. You and I are not quitter's! We thrive on a challenge and believe me when i say this, God has great things in store for you!

    ReplyDelete