Wednesday, February 18, 2009

1.0

So I am sitting here in an internet cafe in Uganda...wow.

I really wish I could spend a long while writing and posting pictures of this first week, but honestly I didn't even know I would be able to get on the internet here, so I do not have the necessary time or equipment. I don't even know how I can briefly summarize the time thus far. This is how I will try:

I went running this morning. I woke up at 6:30 and went running around 6:45. The sun consistently rises by 7 and sets by 7, so I got up as the dawn was breaking over African soil. I stepped out of the compound we're currently staying at (until tomorrow when I go to live with a host African family for a bit. However, that will require a completely different email) to see the mist as it rose deafeningly from the Ugandan hillside. I stepped on to the red, fine, dirt Ugandan road and headed out to the nearby village. It took me a bit, but I learned to run on the right, as the traffic is reversed from ours and the motorcycle drivers like to sneak up on you. The road looks like a back dirt driveway that will eventually end, but just at the moment you think it time to turn around, the road will dip over a hill and open up into a community of houses and bustling people. I ran this morning, and a school of children ran too. I passed them on my way and what I received where bright waves and the occasional "muzungu," which is the local word for white person(which I have been called by about a million people). Again, I wish I could write in more detail, but my time is drawing to a close, and there is so much to tell. I do not know when I'll be able to post again as we are leaving this area tomorrow, but I cannot wait to tell of the flowers, the animals (the vervet monkeys are right outside our rooms), and perhaps the best part to far, the people.

11 comments:

  1. sending much love...hope you love it there.
    your siafu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has given you a very large and great gift...AFRICA !!! Enjoy every breath of it honey. Love, Maz ps (we are all well)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like your taking it all in bud, the smells, the animals, the women...wait maybe not so much the last one but anyways its great to hear from you so soon. I am working on sending you the journal to you in the next couple of days. Ill pray that it reaches you. I am a bit shocked that you found a cafe there! you know im a cafe guy, think they would hire a "muzungu"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HUNTER! I get so excited about a new blog it is silly! It sounds as though things are great! I miss you and cannot ait for the next! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HP, you should be used to running on the right side of the road after all the runs we have gone on...im glad to hear that you are well and wish i could be out there on those dirt roads pounding out the miles with you

    -wizzkid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunter, You are in my prayers and thoughts daily. I wish I could be with you. Enjoy all the new experiences

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hunter Paris....I think we're in the same time zone now! Isn't that gnarly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We enjoy your writings, your words draw your world very well. We are thinking of you with love and prayers. I gave Madison your blog spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. if your in the same time zone as garrett thats means your both in 1999 now, i can give you heads up on some games coming up, so you can gamble like in back to the future, ive already made garrett millions.

    ReplyDelete