Friday, June 12, 2009

2.6

First Day of Track Practice-

I woke at 5:15 am to the sound of the other coach calling me. The moon was still out. I yawned as I dressed and moved dazed out the door toward the dorms. I could hear murmurs as I neared, and as I turned the corner, 200 girls stood huddled, talking, waiting to run. They got up by choice. With some quick instruction from the head coach, we were off. One thing the coach said to the girls before we left was, "you're going to keep us entertained with some good music, right?" Yes, was the reply. I didn't really know what this meant. We began slowly at first, our feet shuffling to the sound of the coach's whistle in army like cadence. Beep...beep...beep...beep. Then came the music. Two hundred Ugandan girls began to sing out in versed cadence , again similar to that which one might hear from an army troop. We plodded on and on. The verses kept coming, moon beams continued to reveal our way down the dirt roads, and the girls continued running. In the States, every neighbor would have filed a serious noise ordinance against us, but here, the houses we passed seemed untouched, undisturbed by our cadence. I was surprised at how well they did. We walked/jogged for almost an hour, and most of the girls, I think, hadn't ran probably since football ended months before. The Ugandans just believe they can, or maybe they don't know they can't? All the girls either ran in beat-up sandals or barefoot. On the brick/dirt road, I don't know which one would be more difficult. No complaints though. No complaints about the road, the shoes, the time, nothing. How could I complain then either? I simply thanked God for the opportunity to experience a sight and sound that is so hidden, yet so beautiful. They even mentioned me in one of the songs, "kobi Paris, Paris, willi abolo, kobi Paris, Paris, willi abolo." (Mr. Paris, Mr. Paris, we're telling you to buy us some bananas!) Thank you God.

4 comments:

  1. These last two blogs are so interesting. You are a good descriptive writer. I can just see you and these young girls out on the morning run. I can see how cute they are and unpretentious and determine. If we could just have some of this (the enthusiasm about the studying part) in the USA we would have something to brag about but it's not happening! I bet by the end of the year when they get to know you they will warm up and speak up? I think giggling is a girl thing from the beginning of time.:) Keep up the good work, God will have your back. I think you could do better than the TP story?
    Grandma Mary Jo Miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hunter, My friend, Anita, is good friends with a priest who has been a missionary in Uganda for years. His name is, Fr. Dave Baltz. His home is in Arua which is on the other side of a national park near you (I forget the name) It looks like you are about 100 miles from each other. She says that he bicyles all over Uganda. I bet he's about 60. Since you are at a Catholic school, you might run in to him. He may be known around the school. I think he's from St. Louis originally. God Bless!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hunter! I am patiently waiting for another blog!! I miss you like crazy...guess what...Adam and I are Group Leaders together at CAC! I am excited...although Marc and I decided that Adam, Marc, Chelsea and I should form a Super Group...what do you thinK??

    I love you and think about you constantly!

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recently caught back up with your blog. You've been on my mind and in my prayers often, just not while I was sitting in front of a computer screen. Anyway your experience sounds like it's been both incredible and incredibly difficult. I love hearing how passionate your new neighbors are about soccer. (Ronaldo AND Kaka to Real Madrdid?!?- madness). I thoroughly enjoy reading your words and will continue to pray for you. Take care!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete