Friday, June 5, 2009

2.4 (maybe)

My first day of teaching-

I didn't know what to expect. Out of 40 girls in my bio class (which is a really a low number considering the national average is, I think, 65, and I have seen a class of 120 students with one teacher), 10 were there. the rest, I think, are probably working the fields, helping their families find money to go to school. The Ugandan Ministry of Education hasn't payed the government teachers in 2 months. There is a lot of financial tension. I think there have been talks of protest. Still though, some of the students were there. They were dressed in the maroon and white school uniform which they'll wear each day. Their heads, all shaved. School policy. When I asked a question, they spoke softly, if at all. I don't think this is uncharacteristic for Ugandan women. Heads down, no eye contact, soft spoken. Is it right then that I ask them to look up and speak loudly, boldly? I think a fifth of my words are lost in my English accent. They giggle in groups. Is this a trait common to all girls? I don't know. When I step into the classroom, they're studying. If I was to dismiss class early, they would continue studying. What manner is this? I almost don't like it. I want to yell, "Go outside girls, go play and get into trouble." But that wouldn't help. It wouldn't help them get into the universities. So much emphasis is placed on their final exams. They have to do well or the university will pass them by. Is that all there is to hope for? University? Is that the sole reason we're studying? Isn't it hypocritical for me to chastise this way? Don't I greatly value the degree I have? So they study. They study in the morning, afternoon, and by the few electric bulbs which illuminate the classes at night. When the power isn't there, they study by lantern. These girls' work so hard. We were setting up a net-ball court (similar to handball) and after marking the dimensions, the girls began to dig the outline of the court with hoes. They keep up the compound, they sweep, sometimes I think they're a lot tougher than me. But this is what is expected of them, and I think, every student. Some try to sneak out of the compound at night. I'm secretly cheering for them when they try. But I'll stop them just the same. So soft spoken. So...timid, coy. Why? Is it lack of self-confidence? Is it simply custom and culture? How will they respond to this new, white teacher trying to get them to learn in a different manner than wrote memorization? Perhaps they'll rebel. Perhaps my next 2 years will be a fight to get someone, anyone, to voluntarily answer a question aloud. Bueller...Bueller...anyone...Bueller.

I've actually been teaching now a little over a week. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing a good job. Sometimes I think I stink it up. One of my classes asked me to sing a song for them one day. I did. Next time, Im going to hit them with the classic masterpiece "Regulators" by Mr. Warren G.

I teach two classes of what is 8th grade math, two classes of sophomore level biology, and 2 classes of 8th grade P.E. That's right kids, think of your gym teacher in school...that's me. I'll get a whistle, I'll make the kids do sprints, and heck, I'll probably have a presidential fitness test where if the kids can do 60 sit-ups in a minute they'll get a signed letter from the President! Names such as Mrs. Brooks, Mr. Her, A.C., Ed Morris, Stan Fraze, Ed Fox...the legends of gym class. Get my name ready for the record books!

The kids also asked me to tell them a story one night.
I told them about TP'ing houses and Halloween. I don't know if I'm a good teacher sometimes. In fact, I think sometimes Im a bad teacher.

I'll put my address again in case anyone wants to write. Even if I don't yet know you, I'll write back.

Hunter Paris, PCV
Ikwera Girls' S.S.
P.O. Box 54
Apac, Uganda

Peace up, A-town down
hp

2 comments:

  1. 8th P.E.?! Awesome, welcome to my world for the past 25 years! If you need any lesson plans, just give a shout out. And yes, girls giggle in groups. In fact, grown women giggle in groups, I confess I've done that a time or two.
    I'm so proud of you Hunter! And so thankful that you are answering God's call and making a difference in "You gone da"! Please let us know if we can send you anything to assist your work or to just give you joy!
    Love you brother,
    Reisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hunter!! Great blog! I haven't gotten through all of it yet but am finding it fasinating.

    Re: groups of giggling girls - this is typical behavior of young females everywhere - did you see the Harry Potter movie where Harry wants to ask a girl to the dance? They were never by themselves. I remember experiencing it in Japan when I was eighteen. It was hard to form a relationship with a group of girls. The boys were much easier to talk to. Good luck and remember that most likely they are just shy!

    Cindy Bradtmueller

    ReplyDelete