Friday, January 23, 2009

0.2

Communication:

Mail: The following is an attempt to relay my mailing address in Uganda for the first three months. I will be very grateful for any letter you can take the time to send. Yes, I think that I will have limited access to email and will definitely like receiving emails, but the tangible nature of receiving a letter is something that I would again be very grateful for.

My address for training (first 3 months):

Hunter Paris, PCT
P.O. Box 29348
Kampala, Uganda

Tricks to ensure package delivery: Scribble religious symbols and biblical quotes all over the outside of the box (I realize that with my brothers especially this request may backfire on me in an incredible manner) Superstitions run high, and even corrupt postal workers (which apparently corruption is a required characteristic for employment in the postal service-sorry maz) are wary of intercepting religious parcels. Maybe even write "Brother Hunter Paris" to heighten the effect. Another trick is to write in red ink. Red ink is sometimes reserved for the most official letters and so makes intruders wary. Perhaps the best way to have packages delivered though is to contact a PC volunteer or a guest of a volunteer that is in the states and preparing to head to Uganda and have them hand deliver it. Finding this person though will be on me.

Letters sent by airmail take a minimum of 3 weeks. Packages take longer. Packages went by surface mail may take up to 6 months. Some mail may never arrive. Number the letters (and I will number mine) so we know if one has been lost in the mailing process. Also, write "Airmail" and "Por Avion" on the envelopes. For packages it is best to keep it small and in a padded envelope so it will be treated as a letter. The mail service is sporadic so be flexible.

Telephone: My understanding is that making this type of international call in Uganda is feasible, but problematic. Not to mention, probably expensive. I think that it is far cheaper to call Uganda from the States than to call the States from Uganda. Maybe I will be able to find an available phone and pull the old collect-call trick where I yell really fast what number to call before they can charge me anything. I will look into this when I get over there.

Email: Again, my understanding is that more and more places in Uganda have internet cafes. I will do my best to access these, but think that if I am able to get on the internet even monthly that would probably be a surprise. Also, I have been informed that I will not have a whole lot of available time during my first 3 months of training to go to internet cafes so this rate may be less for the first couple of months.

Telekinesis: This is probably the best form of communication as there are no tariffs and embargoes are down right now. However, I must advise caution in the content of your thoughts because I know, at least for myself, if the government was to get a hold of my thoughts, there would be a lot of important secrets made public and my dreams of becoming a Miami Indian would probably be under heavy scrutiny.

2 comments:

  1. wow is all i can say to your writing my friend, u truly are a man full of hot air. thats all i have for now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I should write "THIS OFFICIAL LETTER IS CURSED" in capital red letters on the back of all correspondence that I send...

    ...either that or draw skull and cross bones.

    ReplyDelete