Wednesday, April 22, 2009

1.6

okay, lets do this.

so two days ago we moved out of our homestays and headed to Kampala to swear in as official volunteers. This was a bittersweet time as it meant that I was nearing the time when I would go to site, but also, that I was leaving a family I had gotten to know over the past 8 weeks. As I left the Mayanja family I became aware that they had really taught much. I think that before, I had this underlying belief that somehow families in Uganda were different from american families because they were underdeveloped and dealt with all sorts of exotic diseases on a daily basis, so how could they have things like hopes and dreams? But I was so wrong. I saw hopes, dreams, sorrows, deaths, and familiy solidarity. also, I saw a woman who could easily snap the heads of two chickens while sifting rocks out of rice.

one day ago we had a meeting at the peace corps office and then were given 4 hours to buy essential items for our homes that we would need when we arrived at our sites. with these instructions, I purchased some heavy insecticide, cockroach-deterring chalk, mouse/rat poison, and a mosquito net. My friend from Kentucky purchased irish whiskey. That night, we had dinner at the hotel and met our site supervisors for the first time. My site is in northern uganda, and I will be teaching at a secondary school. Prior to this meeting that is the bulk of what I knew. My supervisor is named Sister Alobo. That's right kids, I will be teaching within a catholic mission. but hold on, there's more. Apparently, the ugandan ministry of education has recently requested that american males teach at all girls schools (for cultural awareness purposes maybe?). Well, the Peace Corps has answered that call. I have 3 brothers and no skill with talking to ladies, but as of tomorrow, I will be a teacher of 300+ girls from apach, uganda. unreal! God is so creative, and I am really excited.

today we swore in as volunteers in front of our supervisors and a representative from the U.S. embassy. many of the volunteers then went to their sites, but because our trip will be so long, we did not want to arrive at night, so we will wait until tomorrow morning to throw our stuff into a big van and head 7 hrs to the north. It's kind of cool when I talk about going to the north, it makes me feel like I am "from the north" like in Lord of the Rings. Speaking of Lord of the Rings, on Easter Monday the town of Wakiso had a special showing at the local theatre (which is not what you are thinking of) where they were showing all three movies back to back to back, with a live VJ interpreting of the microphone English --> Lugandan. They began this marathon at 8pm! Yes, I payed my 200 shillings. No, I did not make it through even the first fiilm. The place was packed though.

Tomorrow the four of us going to the north will throw our stuff on a van we rented and head up to the districts of apac and lira. i think I have said before that I am really proud to be a part of the group going to the north, but I have not yet really explained why. Today, will not be that day either. Hopefully, my next post will be about the north. That may be in quite a number of weeks though. During that time, I want people to think about why I may be excited to go to the north , and then post your thoughts. Unless your name is Neeko or Justen or Scot. Then do not post your thougts. also, if your name is Kurt (especially Kurt), then consider yourself black listed. actually, you know what, im thinking about the people that may be reading this (which I don't know why you would) and lets just go ahead and consider everyone blacklisted. unless you work for Briton or have birthed 4 boys (3 of which are suspect).

Oh, Sister Domitilla did tell me that the site where I am going is a swamp land and infested with mosquitoes. Good thing I picked up those supplies.

One last thought. Marc Buwalda once told me that if he were president he would require all people to listen to Idioteque by Radiohead. I recently was involved in a sort of party where I had control of the music. To begin the dream of Cardinal Buwalda, I played this song, which I love, to maybe 50 Ugandans. The result...not what I had hoped. Perhaps they aren't ready.

2 comments:

  1. Receiving your letter a few days ago has probably been the only thing more exciting than getting our house. Thanks for much and look for a return soon (soon obviously meaning 4-6 weeks).

    Also, the Ugandans apparently don't know much about life changing music. Give them some hootie and the blowfish next time and see how they like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - You are on your way, what an exciting, awesome adventure. Know that you are in my prayers daily. Yes, God has a sense of humor - but so do you, and you will do well with all those wonderful, beautiful girls eager to learn what you have to teach them. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete